Data Protection registration
Referenceline Ltd is a limited company No. 3341732 registered in England at 3 Huron Drive, Liphook, GU30 7TY. We are committed to protecting the privacy of individuals, including consumers, customers and employees. We are registered with the Data Protection Registrar: Z7698138. We do not sell, trade or rent personal information such as individuals' name, address, telephone number and e-mail address. We don't publish customers' names and addresses. If you have any concerns, please email our Data Protection Officer via firstname.lastname@example.org
We provide consumers with a directory and independent review service about businesses. This involves relationships with various bodies including trade associations, trading standards, regulators and others through a number of websites including:
Please be careful and responsible, especially when online. When contacting a firm for the first time, don't provide any more information than is necessary until you are confident about the person you are dealing with. We don't monitor or control the privacy policies of third parties, including registered firms. Ask questions before giving any personal information to anyone. Remember that any information given on message boards, through email, or in chat areas can be collected and used by others.
This policy does not apply to businesses listed on our websites, including legal and trading names, addresses, email addresses, reviews or any other business information. The publication of contact details such as postal addresses, email addresses and phone numbers is essential to the function of our directory services. Where appropriate, businesses should use contact details that are separate from the personal data of individuals. This includes phone numbers, email addresses (ie email@example.com rather than firstname.lastname@example.org) and in some very limited cases may include the use of PO boxes rather than the full postal address. Please contact email@example.com to request any change to business contact details.
We may change this policy from time to time and if we make significant changes, we will make that clear on our websites, so that you are able to review the changes before you continue to use our services.
When we act as Data Processor
When a business or body gives us your personal details as a customer and asks us to contact you by email, by post or by phone (for example, inviting you to leave a review about that business), then we are acting as data processor for them. We will not publish your name or personal details or use them for any other purpose unless you otherwise agree.
When a business or body gives us data that may be linked to an individual as part of the information required to operate our websites or services (eg firstname.lastname@example.org rather than email@example.com) then we are acting as data processor for them. If you are adversely affected by this, you should contact the data controller and we recommend that you should provide generic, rather than personal, contact details wherever possible. You may also contact firstname.lastname@example.org to advise us of your concerns.
In either case, the business or body is the data controller and you should contact them with any questions relating to privacy.
When we act as Data Controller
When you use our website(s), then we act as data controller in relation to your personal data and any other information you provide, including the details of any review you may leave. We automatically collect personal data using cookies and your IP address. Please direct any questions to us at email@example.com
The personal data we collect
- Your name and address, email address and phone number.
- Your IP address, the web site from which you visit us, the web pages you visit and the date and length of your visit.
- Your review and any related correspondence, including text descriptions, text reviews, ratings, images, videos, copies of contracts etc.
- Where a review is submitted on behalf of someone else (for example by a carer) then we also collect their details.
We do not collect special category data such as racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, health conditions. Read the ICO guide to special category data.
Why we collect your personal data
We won’t publish your name unless you have asked us to do so. Instead, we use your personal data:
- To invite you to leave a review and to contact you about your review
- To generate anonymous trends and analysis – for example by age, by gender or by location. These statistics are not personal data as they are anonymised and you will not be identifiable from them.
- To assist in the verification of genuine transactions, the resolution of disputes, the prevention of fraud and to bring or defend legal claims.
- To help us manage and secure our websites, including an understanding of how visitors use our websites.
Legal basis for the processing
When we act as data controller, the information is necessary for our legitimate interests which include:
- Collecting and publishing reviews
- Validating genuine customers
- Researching and analysing consumer and industry trends
- Encouraging conciliation, enabling dispute resolution and supporting legal claims
- Securing, managing and improving our websites
When we act as data processor, we treat personal information with the same care, but the responsibility for the legal basis lies with the data controller.
When we process your personal data on the basis of your consent, you may withdraw your consent by following the unsubscribe link in our emails or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
How long we keep your personal data
Unless you agree otherwise, we keep:
- Your name, email address and phone number for 6 years. This allows us to contact you in relation to your review during that period.
- The details of the property or vehicle to which the service relates indefinitely. This allows us to compile a history of the property or vehicle, rather than of the individuals.
- The anonymized demographic data indefinitely. This allows us to compile anonymous statistics including customer ages, gender and experience as well as customer loyalty by industry or area.
We may keep personal data for longer in some cases, including where there is a statutory, regulatory or other legal need to do so.
Where personal data is included within the information provided to us under contract with another data controller, we do not keep that personal data when the contract expires unless the business registers directly with us and authorises us to act as a data controller.
Where more than one retention period applies to the same personal data, the longest period will apply.
Where we obtain your personal data
We obtain your personal data from businesses, as their data processor and from you, as data controller, when you submit information to our websites, communicate with us, or otherwise provide personal data to us; from your accounts on other websites, including Facebook or Twitter, when you give us permission to do so and automatically when you use our website, using cookies or similar technologies.
How we share your personal data
We may share your personal data:
- With the business you have reviewed, so that they can identify you as a genuine customer.
- With trading standards ..., regulators, dispute resolution providers, professional bodies, fraud protection agencies, insurers, legal advisors or other third parties to help monitor standards, prevent fraud and other risks and assist when disputes arise.
- With our employees or service providers, as necessary for them to carry out their duties including customer support and website services.
- With professional advisers ... or in connection with any reorganisation, merger or acquisition of part or all of our business.
- With regulators, government authorities or the police, as required by law or in response to their reasonable requests.
- Where you have agreed or asked us to
- Exceptionally at our discretion when we believe it appropriate to do so. For example: when we believe that the law requires it or to identify, contact or bring legal action against someone who may be breaking our rules or injuring Referenceline's rights or property.
Cookies and similar technologies
We may use the following types of cookie:
- Functionality: to allow you to navigate the site and use our features
- Analytics: to understand how you use our site(s), and to improve our services.
- Customer preference: to remember your preferences and help make your experience as simple and personal as possible
- Targeting: to deliver ads or other information which may be relevant to you
- Third parties: to allow you to interact with third party services such as LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
If you want to delete any cookies, the help section in your browser should provide instructions on how to do so on your computer, but some functions on our site(s) may be affected or not work at all.
The law gives you the right to require us to
- Send you a copy of the personal data we hold about you. We will provide the first copy free of charge, but we may make a charge for additional requests.
- Correct any inaccurate or incomplete personal data that we hold about you and to require us to restrict our processing of your personal data while we verify its accuracy.
- Erase your personal data on certain limited grounds (including where they are no longer necessary for the purpose for which they were collected or where we rely on consent, which you withdraw, and there is no other legal ground for the processing)
- Restrict our processing of your personal data which we no longer need, rather than requiring us to erase that data, where you require us to retain that personal data in relation to legal claims
- Consider your objection to our processing of your personal data on the grounds of our legitimate interests and to require us to restrict our processing of your personal data while we do so. We might not have to cease processing if we are able to show a reason which overrides your interests. This includes where that legitimate interest relates to legal claims, regulatory issues or the verification of genuine feedback.
To exercise any of these rights, please contact email@example.com.
If you are not happy with the way we respond to any complaint about the way we use your personal data, please contact the Information Commissioner’s Office https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/